by Mike Rother
What I Liked The Most
- Four steps of the Improvement Kata as a practical, everyday scientific way of thinking and working.
- Development of people’s capabilities to continuously understand a situation and improve. Develop scientific skills and mindset in people through the work itself.
- Value Stream Mapping for keeping an eye on the overall picture.
- Five questions of the Coaching Kata in 20 minutes daily sessions.
- Problem-solving approach versus hiding the problem and hunting for solutions.
- Model for changing organizational culture based on repeatedly practicing new behavior patterns.
What Important Lessons I Learned
- Go and see how a process is working to deeply understand the current condition.
- Keep the focus on what really needs to be improved by successive target conditions in the direction of a long-term vision.
- Rely on facts rather than opinions or judgments.
- Change only one thing at a time, so the cause-effect relationship is maintained.
- At Toyota, improving and managing are one and the same.
- Prefer constant daily improvement to occasional improvement projects.
#toyotakata #improvementkata #behaviorpatterns #coachingkata #problemsolving #goandsee #targetconditions #lean